[ClusterLabs] Filesystem support for Lustre filesystem client mounts

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Tue May 19 08:41:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:38:59AM -0400, Ron Kerry wrote:

> On 5/18/15 10:24 AM, users-request at clusterlabs.org wrote:
> > I suppose that you mean in code like this:
> >
> > 275     # Get the current real device name, if possible.
> > 276     # (specified devname could be -L or -U...)
> > 277     case "$FSTYPE" in
> > 278     nfs4|nfs|smbfs|cifs|glusterfs|ceph|tmpfs|overlayfs|none)
> > 279         : ;;
> >
> > We can add "lustre" to various lists of this kind.

> >I'm not sure I follow. Sorry, no lustre expert here.

> >ocf:heartbeat:Filesystem is essentially mount/umount, so, if we
> >agree on the terminology, it is always client-side.
> >

> Perhaps this will clear up what I mean by overloading the "lustre"
> filesystem type for both Lustre server and Lustre client mounts.
>
> A Lustre server (MDS or OSS) would have the following sorts of
> /etc/fstab entries:
>
> # Lustre
> /dev/xscsi/pci-0000:04:08.0-sas-0x1221000001000000-lun0 /lustre/mdt0
> lustre defaults 0 0
> /dev/xscsi/pci-0000:04:08.0-sas-0x1221000002000000-lun0 /lustre/ost0
> lustre defaults 0 0
> /dev/xscsi/pci-0000:04:08.0-sas-0x1221000003000000-lun0 /lustre/ost1
> lustre defaults 0 0
> /dev/xscsi/pci-0000:04:08.0-sas-0x1221000004000000-lun0 /lustre/ost2
> lustre defaults 0 0
>
> Note that these are block devices and work today with the Filesystem
> resource agent.
>
> A Lustre "client" system would have the following different sort of
> entry in /etc/fstab:
>
> # lustre filesystem
> 128.162.245.79 at tcp0:/lustrefs1  /lustrefs1  lustre  _netdev  0 0
>
> Note that the entry is definitely NOT referencing a block device,
> but instead something that is a network type device similar to what
> NFS would use.
>
> In BOTH cases the fstype field is "lustre".

I see. So, the filesystem driver is a two-in-one affair.

> This complicates adding
> support for a lustre "client" mount and makes it not so simple as
> just adding it to the list you suggest. I suppose we could "invent"
> a new fstype of "lustre-client" (making sure to map it back to just
> plain "lustre" in the actual mount command) and handle it that way.

I guess that we could also look at the "device" (block vs tcp).
I'm a bit swamped now, but you could open an issue at github and
we can take it from there.

> I can probably hack the Filesystem agent script to get something
> that would work, but I was hoping there was already some sort of
> community solution for this issue.

As I said, I can recall people using lustre, but it must've then
been just the server kind.

Thanks,

Dejan