[ClusterLabs] Antw: proftpd resource agent - fix for a start/monitor race condition

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Mar 25 08:52:06 EDT 2015

<20150325104031.GG22086 at hektik>:
> Hello,
>
> the proftpd resource agent sometimes shows a race condition:
>
> if startup of the proftpd binary is slow, the pacemaker monitor
> operation immediately following the start operation may not yet find
> the pid-file from proftpd, and then it will signal failure. Subsequent

Personally I feel this should be fixed in proftp: The process should not exit
unless the PID file was created. It seems the child process creates the PID
file, not the parent...

> retries of the start operation then keep failing because the tcp sockets
> are already used by the initial proftpd (which was never stopped).

Doesn't pacemaker try a stop operation in case of failure first? I'm not
sure.

> Fix (copied from the apache resource agent): after invoking the proftpd
> binary, do not return to caller until the monitor operation (called
> from within the RA itself) shows "success". Handling startup timeouts is
> left to the cluster manager.

I think you can also tell pacemaker not to call monitoring unless n seconds
have passed since start operation. Of course any fixed timeout is
unreliable...