[ClusterLabs] Two-Node OCFS2 cluster keep rebooting each other

Jonathan Vargas jonathan.vargas at alkaid.cr
Wed Jun 10 01:19:48 EDT 2015

Thanks Andrei, Digimer.

I see. Since I need to address this discussion to a definitive solution, I
am sharing you a diagram of how we are designing this HA architecture, to
clarify the problem we are trying to solve:

http://i.imgur.com/BFPcZSx.png

The first layer, Load Balancer; and the third later, Database, are both
already setup. The Load Balancer cluster uses only an VIP resource, while
Database cluster uses DRBD+VIP resources. They are on production and work
fine, test passed :-)

Now we are handling the Web Server layer, which I am discussing with
experts like you. These servers require to be all active and see the same
data for read & write, as quickly as possible, mainly reads.

*So, If we stay with OCFS2: *Since we need to protect the service
availability and keep most of nodes up, what choices do I have to avoid
reboots on both Web nodes caused by a split-brain situation when one of
them is disconnected from network?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

*1. Redundant Channel:* This is pretty difficult, since we would have to
add two new physical netword cards to the virtual machine hosts, and that
changes network configuration a lot in the virtualization platform.

*2. Three Node Cluster:* This is possible, but it will consume more
resources. We can have it only for cluster communication though, not for
web processing, that will decrease load.

*3. Disable Fencing:* You said this should not happen at all if we use a
shared disk like OCFS. So I am discarding it.

*4. Use NFS: *Yes, this will cause a SPoF, and to solve it we would have to
setup another cluster with DRBD as described here
<https://www.suse.com/documentation/sle_ha/singlehtml/book_sleha_techguides/book_sleha_techguides.html>,
and add more infrastructure resources, or do we can setup NFS over OCFS2?

Thanks in advance.

*Jonathan Vargas Rodríguez*
Founder and Solution Engineer
Alkaid <https://alkaid.cr/> | Open Source Software