[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Problem in Xen RA (SLES11 SP3)?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Jul 17 04:45:46 EDT 2015

<20150717075045.GU6607 at suse.de>:
> On 2015-07-09T17:13:01, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
>
>> I was watching our Xen-cluster when there were problems, and I found this:
>> Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State
> Time(s)
>> Domain-0                                     0 13401    24     r-----    560.6
>> [...other domains running...]
>> v08                                          8 16384     1     --p---      0.0
>> v09                                          9 16384     0     --p---      0.0
>>
>> Jul  9 17:06:04 h01 Xen(prm_xen_v08)[12923]: INFO: Xen domain v08 will be
> stopped (timeout: 400s)
>> Jul  9 17:06:09 h01 Xen(prm_xen_v09)[12922]: INFO: Xen domain v09 already
> stopped.
>>
>> Obviously this is not true: When the cluster tried to start the domain, it
> never left that p-state. But the re-create the domain, I guess the cluster has
> to destroy the existing domain.
>>
>> Any insights on this?
>
> The usual answer: please file a bug report.

So you are saying it's a bug?

Anyway, what had happened was this: Someone changed the VM configuration of another VM to get more memory. Then the cluster tried to start all VMs on a single node, but that node (Domain-0) did not have enough memory... Thus the VMs were staying in that "p-state".

What I guess is this: Such a domain is not actually running (and needs to be destroyed (stopped) before any attempt to start the VM elsewhere is done)

Can you confirm?

Another question is why Xen doesn't fail the start of such a VM more or less immediately; it seems Xen is waiting for more memory to arrive indefinitely.

Regards,
Ulrich