[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: [Linux-HA] Antw: Re: file system resource becomes inaccesible when any of the node goes down

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Jul 7 10:23:44 UTC 2015

>>> Muhammad Sharfuddin <M.Sharfuddin at nds.com.pk> schrieb am 07.07.2015 um 11:15 in
Nachricht <559B98A2.5060401 at nds.com.pk>:

[...]
> I don't understand the advantage of Ocfs2 file system in such a setup.

The advantage depends on the alternatives: If two nodes both want to access the same filesystem, you can use OCFS2, NFS, or CIFS (list not complete). If only one node can access a filesystem, you could try any journaled filesystem (a fsck is needed after a node crash).

If you use NFS or CIFS, you shift the problem to another machine.

If you use a local filesystem, you need recovery, mount, and start of your application on a standby node.

With OCFS2 you'll have to wait for a few seconds before your application can continue.

Note that a usual SCSI disk with read-errors can also delay I/O significantly while retrying I/O.

Regards,
Ulrich