[ClusterLabs] Reviving the OCF OpenCF.org Open cluster framework

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu Feb 12 15:26:31 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPad

> On 10 Feb 2015, at 21:44, Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
>

> So we have this opencf.org website.
> Which has not been updated in like 14 years.
> We also have the "OCF mailing list", see CC,
> which has not received much traffic at all during the years.
>
> The domain was transfered into stewardship of LINBIT.
>
> It is currently hosted on one of LMBs boxes if I am not mistaken.
>
> It hosts the "home" and the "standards" page,
> referencing a few documents in various formats,
> and some notes on workshops that took place in 2001.
>
> It talks about noble goals, and states that "we" [1] are a working
> group of the Free Standards Group (of the Linux Foundation).
>
> [1] Quoting the "home" page on "Who We Are":
>    We are a group of people who have interests in
>    cluster software - both providers and
>    consumers of clustering services.
>    We have periodic meetings in person, and an ongoing
>    conversations via a mailing list.
>
>    So yes, that means: You. Me. All of us
>    who consider themselves part of "the group".
>
> It also hosts the CVS of some draft documents,
> which afaics fall into three categories:
>
> * trying to establish definitions of specific vocabulary
>  what I perceive as a glossary of terms,
>
>  concepts/cluster
>
> * API draft description or even header files
>
>  event/Event.api
>  membership/oc_membership.h
>
> * The OCF Resource Agent API Specification
>
>  ra/resource-agent-api.txt
>
> In 2010, An (as of yet unmodified?) copy of this CVS
> has been imported into
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/OCF-spec

> What I did now:
> create an opencf "organisation" in github OpenCF.github.io
> to serve as the backend for "github pages".

We can do the same from ClusterLabs/OCF-spec
Since everything else is moving there, I think it makes sense for it to stay put.

> I have no experience with github pages at all, so I just used their
> "web site generator" to basically just bring over the "home" page
> of the current opencf.org.

It's just Jekyll underneath. I'll dig up some links for how to make it more than a single page when I get back next week.

> This was only a playground for now,
> I'm happy to drop that organisation again,
> make it a sub-project of clusterlabs,
> or whatever smart move someone comes up here.
>
> Before I go further and create the DNS records pointing to these
> github pages, I wanted to run this by you, all of you.
>

> Which content do we want to just drop?
> What do we really want to host under the "OpenCF" tag?

I would vote for opencf.org to redirect to ClusterLabs.org/{something}
Or  {something}.ClusterLabs.org/

> My thoughts right now:
>
> While it is probably a nice idea to have a glossary of terms of
> the High Availability - and also the High Performance - Clustering,
> or document membership, event, lock, management, monitoring,
> logging, resource, group, node, and other services,
> I don't see much relevant content there right now.
>
> The one relevant content is the Resource Agents API SPEC.
>
> I suggest that we have an OpenCF/SPECS repository,
> which will for now only be populated with
>  https://github.com/ClusterLabs/OCF-spec/blob/master/ra/ra-api-1.dtd
>  https://github.com/ClusterLabs/OCF-spec/blob/master/ra/resource-agent-api.txt
>
> The latter maybe brought over to asciidoc.

Agree on content if not the location :-)

> (Though of course we can also just clone it as is,
> and then drop irrelevant content).
>
> Then we take it from there,
> and do the necessary overhaul of this OCF RA API spec.
>
> I will followup with a list of items that need to be addressed
> (as I remember them from the discussions we had in Brno).
>

> Once that is done, maybe we leave for the Documentation Teams and
> other contributors to fill in the "cluster glossary",
> and by documenting our "reference implementation" Pacemaker, also
> fill in the various mentioned "membership, event, lock ..." API "specs".
>
> Does that sound reasonable,

Yep

> or am I completely off track?

> Anyone willing to define a jekyll "theme/layout", or to provide
> some general content for the "opencf.github.io" landing page?

I can do a theme. It should be consistent across all the projects imho (with maybe a varying header image or base color)