[ClusterLabs] [ClusterLabs Developers] Resource Agent language discussion

Fabio M. Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Tue Aug 11 05:15:47 EDT 2015

On 8/11/2015 11:01 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> [...]
> development. At least, I would expect published RA to be well tested and
> "production" ready, not having trivial bug easy to fix.
>
>> If needs arise to debug a RA, shell is pretty much the only common
>> denominator with our user base.
>
> But as a sysadmin who tries to write robust bash script and as a PostgreSQL DBA,
> if I open the pgsql RA agent, I become a bit nervous. Try to run shellcheck on
> the pgsql and mysql RA.
>
> Proper and robust bash development often require to use syntaxes, features
> and cautions a lot of people will not be familiar with. Worst, sometime you
> must stick outside of good practices: consider some optional args to a
> command you must not quote as instance... It just becomes quickly a headache.
>
> So all-in-all, as a sysadmin, watching at some RA code (not all of them) doesn't
> give me much more confidence about them. And reading the discussions pointed by
> Jan earlier in this thread confirm this feeling.
>
>> The other problem i see in using other languages is how they operate
>> under extreme conditions (memory pressure, disk I/O etc).
>>
>> Just for the fun of it,
> [...]
>
>> Granted, it´s an incredibly small test et all, but all I am trying to
>> say is that Cluster is supposed to be as reliable as possible under
>> extreme conditions.
>
> Ok, I understand this argument. Bash is reliable and lighter, so better fit for
> extreme condition. But then, I would expect the project to provide a C
> library as well. I'm not kidding, I understand bash is a good compromise. But
> as far as I can read the code and debug if needed, whatever the language.
> Again, this is development tasks.
>
> If I pick the PostgreSQL project, the engine can be extended using SQL,
> PL/PgSQL, python, perl, C, and many other languages (even shell), to add
> operators, types, functions/procedures, background worker (C only), ... People
> extending or using external modules are responsible to test and validate them.
> Sometime, when such a module is really useful, they are swallowed in the
> PostgreSQL core officialy (xml, autovacuum, FTS(tsearch), ...). But at least,
> PostgreSQL provides API and libraries for these languages.
>
> Considering robustness and extreme condition, database and clustering solutions
> share the same needs and attention.
>
> Note that 3 RA are using perl from bash for some more complex (though really
> simple) tasks: apache-conf.sh, nginx and pgsql. As long as perl has been loaded,
> why not writing the whole RA in perl? ;-)
>
>> In most systems, all commands required to execute a RA in shell are
>> already cached in ram and requirements to re-run them are minimal (and
>> could save a system).
>>
>> with Perl, there was no caching that I could see (even executing the
>> command several times), with lots of I/O to load modules from disks.
>
> If hitting 10MB on memory or disk is a problem on your server, your RA is
> probably not your main problem by this time.

That is a bad assumption that shouldn´t be done either directions.

We could argue the other way around :)

If loading 10MB of $fancy_language_script fails to stop a service that
is driving the server bad, vs loading 500k of shell that saves the node
to be fenced, then the language become a problem.

Fabio