[ClusterLabs] Resources within a Group

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 14:06:05 UTC 2015

On 08/28/2015 05:51 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 08/27/2015 05:54 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>> I'm on SLES 11 SP4 (Pacemaker 1.1.12) and still learning all this :)
>> I'm wondering if there's a way to control the resource startup behaviour
>> within a group?
>
> Thanks Andrew & Ulrich for confirming that indeed that's how it works
> (further resources won't be started if one fails).  I'll double-check
> again what was wrong on my setup.
>
> Best regards,
> Jorge

I'm wondering if maybe you were using the term "group" generically? The
other responses were referring to Pacemaker's explicit group syntax.

By default, all resources are independent of each other, and can be
started in any order and on any node.

To tell the cluster that some resources are related, you can use either
constraints or groups. Groups are effectively a shorthand for the most
common constraint scenario: a series of resources need to be started in
order, kept together on the same node, and stopped in the reverse order.

How you set up a group depends on what tools you're using; for example,
in pcs, it would be something like:

  pcs resource create (...first resource parameters...) --group mygroup
  pcs resource create (...second resource parameters...) --group mygroup

etc. Or you can add existing resources to a group with the "pcs group
add" command.