[ClusterLabs] fence-virtd reach remote server serial/VM channel/TCP

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Aug 5 19:36:54 UTC 2015

On 05/08/15 03:09 PM, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> On 02/08/15 16:30 +0200, Noel Kuntze wrote:
>> I would like to know if it is possible for
>> fence-virtd to realy a request from a client, which it
>> received via serial, VM channel or TCP connection
>> from an agent to another daemon, if the VM that should
>> be fenced does not run on the same host as the contacted daemon.
>
> First, it doesn't sound like very commendable or at least common setup
> to have virtualized cluster nodes spread around multiple hosts.
> When increasing the complexity of a deployment, new points of failure
> can be introduced, defeating the purpose of HA.
>
> Could you please share details of your use case?

To interject;

It is not something I would do, but I've heard of cases where a separate
department handles hardware and the devops types are restricted to VMs
only. In such a case, you would want to span hosts to protect against a
host failure. Not sure if this is Noel's use-case, of course.

--
Digimer
access to education?