[ClusterLabs] Handling NFS lock recovery

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Mon Apr 20 03:32:04 EDT 2015

Am Montag, 20. April 2015, 07:13:52 schrieb Daniel O'Brien:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle NFS lock recovery on an
> Active-Active setup. I've seen some guides suggest lsp and statd but I've
> also found an ra called nfsserver.
>
> Assuming the need to handle NFSv3 is there a preference between each? Does
> using only NFSv4 make things simpler?

In NFSv4 the client is responsible for claiming and renewing the locks. So if
the client does not reclaim the lock in the leasetime, the server frees it.
when a server reboot occures the server waits for the gracetime untils it
accepts locks. For details see:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/42868

This setup makes live much easier, since no file sync or other is necessary.
This only works ins active/passive setups!

If you really need am active/active setup, you have to search for something
else. Perhaps you need a cluster filesystem (ocfs, GFS, gluster or ceph). By
the way, glusterfs has a NFS server included.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Michael Schwartzkopff

--
[*] sys4 AG