[ClusterLabs] principal questions to a two-node cluster

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 24 11:07:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

I get the impression that the basic setup is not easy, but very important, because when the cluster is running it is difficult to change something.

This is my idea:  SAN offers one or more volumes to the nodes ==> disks which appears in the nodes from the SAN are used as physical volumes ==> physical volume/s are combined to a volume group ==> logical volumes are created on top of this vg, one lv for each virtual machine ==> formatted with a file system like ext3 (because each virtual machine does not run concurrently on both nodes this should work) ==> each virtual machine in a raw file, one vm for each lv. In this setup I use cLVM.
I made a draft (sorry, i'm not an illustrator):  https://hmgubox.helmholtz-muenchen.de:8001/f/d4e18bc12a/
The green circle means that I'd like to move a vm to another host, maybe live migration.

What I like to know:

- could it work ?
- is live migration possible with it ?
- what is about adding a third node later ?

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax:   +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Je suis Charlie

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess, Dr. Nikolaus Blum, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671