[Pacemaker] Occasional nonsensical resource agent errors, redux

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 4 11:02:15 EST 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 11:36:40AM -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 09:26 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 08:46:00AM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>>> В Mon, 3 Nov 2014 13:32:45 +1100

>>> Actually the message seems to be output by check_binary() function
>>> which is part of framework.
>>
>> Someone complained in the IRC about this issue (another resource
>> agent though, I think Xen) and they said that which(1) was not
>> able to find the program. I'd suggest to do strace (or ltrace)
>> of which(1) at that point (it's in ocf-shellfuncs).
>>
>> The which(1) utility is a simple tool: it splits the PATH
>> environment variable and stats the program name appended to each
>> of the paths. PATH somehow corrupted or filesystem misbehaving?
>> My guess is that it's the former.
>>
>> BTW, was there an upgrade of some kind before this started
>> happening?
>
> I was hoping to have something useful before posting another update, but
> since it's come up again, here's what we've found so far:
>
> * The most common manifestation is the "couldn't find command" error. In
> various instances it "couldn't find" xm, ip or awk. However, we've seen
> two other variations:
>
>   lrmd: [3363]: info: RA output: (pan:monitor:stderr) en-destroy: bad
> variable name
>
> and
>
>   lrmd: [2145]: info: RA output: (ldap-ip:monitor:stderr)
> /usr/lib/ocf/resource.d//heartbeat/IPaddr2: 1:
> /usr/lib/ocf/resource.d//heartbeat/IPaddr2: : Permission denied
>
> The RA in the first case does not use the string "en-destroy" at all; it
> does call a command "xen-destroy". That, to me, is a strong suggestion
> of memory corruption somewhere, whether in the RA, the shell, lrmd or a
> library used by one of those.

Scary. Shell and lrmd are two obvious candidates. I assume that
none of them would cause a segfault if trampling through the
memory where a copy of the running script resides.

> * I have not found any bugs in the RA or its included files.
>
> * I tried setting "debug: on" in corosync.conf, but that did not give
> any additional useful information. The resource agent error is still the
> first unusual message in the sequence. Here is an example, giving one
> successful monitor run and then an occurrence of the issue (the nodes
> are a pair of Xen dom0s including pisces, running two Xen domU resources
> pan and nemesis):
>
> Sep 13 20:16:56 pisces lrmd: [3509]: debug: rsc:pan monitor[21] (pid 372)
> Sep 13 20:16:56 pisces lrmd: [372]: debug: perform_ra_op: resetting
> scheduler class to SCHED_OTHER
> Sep 13 20:16:56 pisces lrmd: [3509]: debug: rsc:nemesis monitor[32] (pid
> 409)
> Sep 13 20:16:56 pisces lrmd: [409]: debug: perform_ra_op: resetting
> scheduler class to SCHED_OTHER
> Sep 13 20:16:56 pisces lrmd: [3509]: info: operation monitor[21] on pan
> for client 3512: pid 372 exited with return code 0
> Sep 13 20:16:57 pisces lrmd: [3509]: info: operation monitor[32] on
> nemesis for client 3512: pid 409 exited with return code 0
> Sep 13 20:17:06 pisces lrmd: [3509]: debug: rsc:pan monitor[21] (pid 455)
> Sep 13 20:17:06 pisces lrmd: [455]: debug: perform_ra_op: resetting
> scheduler class to SCHED_OTHER
> Sep 13 20:17:07 pisces lrmd: [3509]: info: RA output:
> (pan:monitor:stderr) /usr/lib/ocf/resource.d//heartbeat/Xen: 71: local:

This "local" seems to be from ocf-binaries:have_binary():

 71     local bin=`echo $1 | sed -e 's/ -.*//'`

> Sep 13 20:17:07 pisces lrmd: [3509]: info: RA output:
> (pan:monitor:stderr) en-destroy: bad variable name
> Sep 13 20:17:07 pisces lrmd: [3509]: info: RA output: (pan:monitor:stderr)
> Sep 13 20:17:07 pisces lrmd: [3509]: info: operation monitor[21] on pan
> for client 3512: pid 455 exited with return code 2
>
> * I tried reverting several security updates applied in the month or so
> before we first saw the issue. Reverting the Debian kernel packages to
> 3.2.57-3 and then 3.2.54-2 did not help, nor did reverting libxml2 to
> libxml2 2.8.0+dfsg1-7+nmu2.

I suppose that you restarted the cluster stack after update :)

>  None of the other updates from that time
> look like they could have any effect.
>
> * Regarding libxml2, I did find that Debian had backported an upstream
> patch into its 2.8.0+dfsg1-7+nmu3 that introduced a memory corruption
> bug, which upstream later corrected (the bug never made it into an
> upstream release, but Debian had backported a specific changeset). I
> submitted that as Debian Bug #765770 which was just fixed last week. I
> haven't had a chance to apply that to the affected servers yet, but as
> mentioned above, reverting to the libxml2 before the introduced bug did
> not fix the issue.
>
> * I have not found a way to intentionally reproduce the issue. :-( We
> have had 10 occurrences across 3 two-node clusters in five months. Some
> of the nodes have had only one occurrence during that time, but one pair
> gets the most of them. With the time between occurrences, it's hard to
> do something like strace on lrmd, though that's probably a good way
> forward, scripting something to deal with the output reasonably.

Perhaps dumping core of both lrmd and the shell when this
happens would help. Are the most affected nodes in any way
significantly different from the others? By CIB size perhaps?

> * There does not seem to be any correlation with how long the node has
> been up. Checking RAM usage of corosync and lrmd on all nodes over about
> two weeks shows little to no change, so I don't suspect a leak. Most of
> our errors have occurred in the Xen RA, but probably only because that's
> the RA we use most; we've also seen it in IPaddr2.
>
> * My next idea would be to compile/install the latest versions of at
> least pacemaker and the resource agents. However I am in the middle of
> changing jobs, and unfortunately do not have much time left for this. My
> new job will have plenty of time to spend on pacemaker ;-) so I may be
> able to give updates later. Debian's "jessie" release freezes this week,
> so I'm hoping that I will have time to at least get a test cluster up
> running the somewhat newer versions in that (pacemaker 1.1.10, corosync
> 1.4.6).

Did you open a bug report with debian?

Cheers,

Dejan