[Pacemaker] Dual primary DRBD+OCFS2+XEN+Pacemaker failover issues

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri Jun 6 00:16:49 EDT 2014

Mostly yes. Many, many people use just stonith and it's enough for
recovery in most failure cases.

However, personally, I always use (and recommend) PDU fencing as a
backup fence method. The reason is that IPMI shares it's power with the
same power that feeds the node itself. So if the node totally loses
power[1], most systems will lose their IPMI as well. This will mean that
the surviving node will fail to fence the peer. The survivor can not
safely assume the state of the peer, so the only safe option is to block.

By having backup PDU fencing, pacemaker can use STONITH levels[2] to say
"try fencing using IPMI, but if that fails, go and try fencing by PDUs".

Generally, you will want two PDUs and nodes with redundant power
supplies. If you have a single PDU, and that PDU fails (or the
UPS/circuit behind it fails), you're going to lose both fence methods.
By using dual PDUs (and dual UPSes/mains circuits), the failure of one
power rail will leave IPMI working.

This may seem complicated, but it's pretty straight forward and it is
what we've used for years successfully (albeit on RHCS, though I've
tested it successfully with pacemaker 1.1.10+).

digimer

1. https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2#Cutting_the_Power_to_an-c05n01
2. http://clusterlabs.org/wiki/STONITH_Levels