[Pacemaker] Building pacemaker without gnutls

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Aug 13 23:14:54 EDT 2014

On 13 Aug 2014, at 8:53 am, Oren <theoren28 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Anything you can do will be appreciated.
> Regarding the FIPS concern, I hear you but it's never really that black and white.
> One way to look on it is as follows:
> 1) Allowing pacemaker to compile with OpenSSL and without GnuTLS (original post)

Without gnutls is (or should be) certainly possible.  The relevant #ifdef's should be in place to allow this.

Compiling with openssl, thats a less certain prospect - I can't imagine its a drop-in replacement.
I wouldn't object to a patch if someone proposed one, but its not something I can imagine I will spend significant time on myself.

Its certainly not a requirement that I've heard from anyone else so far.
If that changes, I would certainly look at re-prioritizing it.

> 2) Making pacemaker a FIPS approved software
> Alt. 1 is Practical; Common (e.g., freetds RPM); Natural and Extends package "availability"
> (FIPS customers that are not allowed to use GnuTLS will have pacemaker in the gray area rather than black)
> Alt. 2 is Expensive; Takes time; but gains Certificated and Business motivated.
>
> The less secure claim is also gray.

These days it seems prudent to be suspicious whenever a particular government and cryptography are mentioned in the same sentence.
Especially when they are mandating the "one true version" of a piece of software to be used everywhere.