[Pacemaker] newbie question(s)

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri May 24 10:20:51 EDT 2013

On 05/24/2013 08:26 AM, Florian Crouzat wrote:
> Le 24/05/2013 04:15, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker a écrit :

I build almost exclusively 2-node clusters, and as Florian said, quorum
needs to be disabled. This is, itself, safe *if* you have robust fencing
to ensure that you can't have a split-brain condition.

This works because if a node starts on it's own and can't see it's peer
within a timeout period, it fences it. Likewise, while in operation if a
node vanishes (due to internal or network failure), one of the peers
will be fenced before the other begins recovery.

There are two things to consider;

1. Make sure you use a delay for the fence action against one node. This
ensures that if the network connection fails and both nodes race to
fence the other, the one with the delay will always win.

2. Don't set corosync/pacemaker to start on boot. As a general rule, a
fence occurs when something bad happens. I don't want a node to rejoin
the cluster until I've looked it over. More important though is that you
protect against a fence loop. If both nodes are healthy but can't
contact one another, then the fenced node will boot, fail to reach it's
peer and fence it. It's peer will come back up, fail to reach the first
node, fence it. On and on...

hth

digimer

--