[Pacemaker] monitor domain controller

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu May 2 19:51:17 EDT 2013

On 02/05/2013, at 6:39 PM, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at clusterbau.com> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 2. Mai 2013, 08:32:19 schrieb James Harper:
> > Currently I am using a ping resource to ensure that other windows VM's don't
> > start up until the domain controllers are started. This helps prevent
> > things like Exchange not starting properly because they can't find a domain
> > controller.
> >
> > On a complete network shutdown (eg a long power failure), windows domain
> > controllers can take quite a while to start servicing active directory
> > requests if there are no other domain controllers on the network, in the
> > order of 5-20 minutes, but they do respond to pings (depending on firewall
> > rules) so my other VM's start up too early.
> >
> > Has anyone else solved this problem? I'm thinking that I'll simply have a
> > resource that does an nslookup for the active directory domain name on the
> > selected domain controllers, like ping does, (dns won't service active
> > directory related requests until domain services are active), but maybe
> > someone else has done it better?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > James
>
> Hi,
>
> the VirtualDomain resource agent provides the parameter monitor_scripts.

Newer versions of Pacemaker also support the more generic container concept that allows you to represent resources running inside other resources.
In this case, you could define a nagios resource (for your other VMs to depend on) which only shows as "started" when the domain controller becomes active.

Yan authored that particular feature, he should be able to provide more detail if needed.