[Pacemaker] monitor domain controller

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Thu May 2 04:32:19 EDT 2013

Currently I am using a ping resource to ensure that other windows VM's don't start up until the domain controllers are started. This helps prevent things like Exchange not starting properly because they can't find a domain controller.

On a complete network shutdown (eg a long power failure), windows domain controllers can take quite a while to start servicing active directory requests if there are no other domain controllers on the network, in the order of 5-20 minutes, but they do respond to pings (depending on firewall rules) so my other VM's start up too early.

Has anyone else solved this problem? I'm thinking that I'll simply have a resource that does an nslookup for the active directory domain name on the selected domain controllers, like ping does, (dns won't service active directory related requests until domain services are active), but maybe someone else has done it better?

Thanks

James