[Pacemaker] best/proper way to shut down a node for service

Martin Seener martin.seener at barzahlen.de
Wed Jan 23 03:42:24 EST 2013

Hi,

We have a 2-node active/standby PGSQL/DRBD Cluster with STONITH and we put one node in standby
Then shutdown pacemaker on this standby node (service pacemaker stop), wait some sec, then doing the same
With corosync (service corosync stop), again wait some seconds and always have a look at crm_mon –r on the active node.

After that, the standby nodes status should be OFFLINE (standby). Then we can safely reboot or shutdown this node.

When ist rebootet, we first start DRBD and let it sync completly – then restart corosync (wich autostarts pacemaker) with
Service corosync start. After some moments it will become "standby" again in the cluster and you can
Put it back online with crm node online <nodename>.

This works very well and we dont experience any crm hang on the active node like we did when we missed to stop pacemaker and then corosync
Before reboot.

Also you can put everything in maintenance-mode=true, but then even on the active node PGSQL isnt monitored (restarted if it shuts down), therefore
We only use maintenance if we really do manual steps to PG or updating the cluster software.

Greets from Berlin,

Martin