[Pacemaker] Postresql streaming replication support

Keith Ouellette Keith.Ouellette at Airgas.com
Wed Jan 9 13:56:51 EST 2013

We have a critical application that uses PostgreSQL as its database. For high availability we are have the servers running as master and slaves using Pacemaker and openAIS/Corosync. The server pairs are geographically separated connected with a bridged VPN. We have Pacemaker working with our applications and had PostgreSQL with DRBD functioning. However, our network conditions was affecting the DRBD replication too greatly. I was asled to look at using write ahead logging (WAL) streaming mode as an alternative to replicating the database. I have replication without pacemaker now working.

  Now I am trying to get that integrated with pacemaker. In my searches, I see that pacemaker with DRBD seems to be the prevelant implementation an most documentation was written around that. However, due to our network conditions, I am looking for information on doing this with WAL. I did find a resource agent that was wirtten for what I am doing (https://github.com/t-matsuo/resource-agents/wiki/Resource-Agent-for-PostgreSQL-9.1-streaming-replication). The issue is the example if complex with the explanation written only toward that example. Is there another place that I can get documentation  on this resource agent? Is there another way that this could be accmoplished that someone has tried?

Please let me know.

Keith