[Pacemaker] Getting Started on Ubuntu 12.04

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Fri Nov 16 10:26:32 EST 2012

Art,

The Linbit Tech Guides are nice for this purpose as they give step-by-step instructions for configuring a simple example cluster. Since you mentioned using DRBD in your setup, I would recommend the DRBD Users Guide, which also has information specific to Pacemaker:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/

Some notes about DRBD:
- you will want to set the syncer rate to 1/3 of the bandwidth available over your DRBD replication link:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-configure-sync-rate.html#eq-sync-rate-example1

- you will want to enable resource-level fencing for DRBD. In corosync-based clusters, this can be done with crm-fence-peer.sh:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-pacemaker-fencing.html#s-pacemaker-fencing-cib

Also, I would recommend configuring more than one communication ring for Corosync, so that your cluster can still communicate even if one network is disrupted. When configuring redundant rings, you must specify the rrp_mode parameter in corosync.conf, which determines how Corosync uses the rings ("active" to use all of the rings at once, "passive" to use one ring but failover to another if it is found to be faulty).

Good luck!

Andrew