[Pacemaker] Enable remote monitoring

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Nov 11 13:37:29 EST 2012

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:37:04 +0100 Dejan Muhamedagic
<dejanmm at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 05:22:08PM +0100, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> > > Isn't it that one gets a login prompt only once the host reached a
> > > certain run level?
> > Services may start in the background. The console may either be
> > text, graphical, or network only.
> Hmm, I have yet to see a Linux/UNIX host without a console. And
> that means quite some time ;-)

While (almost) all systems have some kind of console, not all systems
stay at a text-console during runtime. If you want to watch  a
linux-terminal-server, its not a text-console that is the primary
screen.

And then watching the text-console for a login:-prompt tells you that
the machine is up. "Pressing" enter tells you that the login-process is
still answering. But that doesn't tell you whether the webserver on
that machine is still working correctly. Its not even telling you if
the machine is reacting to network stuff. All it tells you is that some
kind of system is started. So its actually only a little more then
"virsh list |grep <machinename>" tells you.

Imho watching the console for monitoring a machine is as useless as it
can get.

Have fun,

Arnold