[Pacemaker] Enable remote monitoring

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 8 05:54:04 EST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 09:18:16AM +0100, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2012-11-08T14:24:40, "Gao,Yan" <ygao at suse.com> wrote:
>
> > > What do you propose the XML should look like?
> > Should be like:
> > <op id="vm-monitor-30" name="monitor" class="nagios" type="ftp"
> > interval="30s" ignore-first-failures="true">
>
> If we make "ignore-first-failures" a time period, we can also limit the
> time the cluster ignores this.

Right.

> Downside, that I have just realized - resources which depend on this
> one, and might want to depend on a service the container provides.
>
> (This could be an argument to go back to the "configure them as
> primitives that are managed-by-proxy via the container resource", sigh.)

Not necessarily if this is handled by the RA (as in Xen or
VirtualDomain). And it should really be so. Even if we provide a
solution just for Linux guests that should cover most
installations. I guess that other OS (won't name them here) would
come along eventually.

> > > You plan to add 'ip' to the VirtualDomain metadata?
> > It should be in the metatdata of nagios:ftp and also other monitor
> > agents. We'd like parameters inheritance to avoid configuration repetition.
>
> We already have parameter inheritance, actually.

We do, but if the parameter is not present in the meta-data,
various UI may complain about it. OTOH, I'm not sure how to
provide common parameters. Unless we do some extra XML
attributes. For this particular case, we may just ask the users
to have the name of the VM host resolvable. Or else to define the
IP/hostname for each of the monitor resources. Otherwise, there's
probably not that much configuration to be shared.

Cheers,

Dejan