[Pacemaker] Build dlm_controld for pacemaker stack (dlm_controld.pcmk)

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Mon Nov 5 00:40:06 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
> 02.11.2012 02:05, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

>>> Why should I like software which is going to die? ;)
>>>
>>> I believe that how things are done currently (third case from your list)
>>> fully reflect my "perfectionistic" needs. I had many problems with
>>> cman+pacemaker in a past. Most critical is that pacemaker and
>>> dlm_controld react differently when node reappears back very soon after
>>> if was lost (because pacemaker uses totem ? directly for membership, but
>>> dlm uses CPG).
>>
>> We both get it from the CPG and quorum APIs for option 3.
>
> Yes, but not for 1 nor for 2.

Not quite. We used to ignore it for option 2, but not anymore.
Option 2 uses CPG for messaging.

> I saw described behavior with both of
> them, but not with 3.
> That's why I decided to go with 3 which I think conceptually right.
>

>>> Pacemaker accepts that, but controld freezes lockspaces,
>>> waiting for fencing. But fencing is never done because nobody handles
>>> "node lost" CPG event.
>>
>> WTF.  Pacemaker should absolutely do this.  Bug report?
>
> Sorry for being unclear.
> I saw that with both 1 and 2 (where pacemaker did not use CPG), until I
> "fixed" fencing at dlm layer for 1. I modified it to request fencing if
> "node down" event occurs and then did not see freezes anymore. From what
> I understand, "node down" CPG event occurs when corosync forms
> transitional membership (at least pacemaker logged lines about that at
> the same time with dlm freeze. And if stable membership occurs
> (milli-)seconds after transitional one, pacemaker (as of probable 1.1.6)
> did not fence re-appeared node. I can understand that - pacemaker can
> absolutely live with that. But dlm cannot.

Right. Any sort of membership hiccup is fatal as far as the dlm is concerned.
But even with options 1 and 2, it should still make a fencing request.

Without fence_pcmk in cluster.conf that request might have gotten
lost, but with 1.1.8 I would expect the node to be shot - regardless
of whether the rest of Pacemaker thought it was ok.
Thats why going direct to stonithd was an important change.