[Pacemaker] IP Range Failover with IPaddr2 and clone / globally-unique="true"

Anton Melser melser.anton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:05:13 EST 2012

> Thousands? In that case you should extend the IPaddr2 RA to
> support IP ranges and then handle all of them in a loop within
> the RA. If any of the IP addresses fails you'll need to report
> failure, so the complete range would have to be restarted.

I knew that would be an option but I'm going to have a hard time
selling my managers on that. They don't understand how FOSS works and
have already expressed doubts... It definitely sounds like a very
workable solution though - the "resource" is not an IP or a clone, it
is an entire network of IPs. I'm new enough for there to be benefit in
me trying other solutions too though - I'm going to have a look at
keepalived and if it doesn't work out of the box I'll have a crack at
adapting IPaddr2.

>> > BTW, why do you need so many IPs?
>>
>> I was hoping this question wouldn't get asked but thought it might...
>> I spent *heaps* of time explaining why on the netfilter list. I
>> completely understand both the interest in why and the
>> misunderstanding of the situation at first glance - will "it is
>> completely legal, and completely moral" suffice? It is "moral" unless
>> you have a particular hate of outsourcing...  This post seemed to
>> satisfy the angry masses:
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/netfilter/msg52178.html
>> The fact that the Linux Foundation uses an Email Service Provider to
>> send their newsletters hopefully proves that sending emails from lots
>> of IPs (each dedicated to a single customer, so thousands of IPs =
>> thousands of customers) is not a nasty thing to do if done by a
>> responsible company!
>
> I was just curious, didn't mean to imply anything.

Sorry about jumping at you! It's just felt like I had a new one torn
for me when I last mentioned what the project was for... :-).
Thanks for all your help. You'll probably get me back asking silly
questions about why my adapted script isn't working in a week or so!
Cheers
Anton