[Pacemaker] large cluster design questions

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Mon Jan 16 01:47:57 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Christian Parpart <trapni at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I am also about to evaluate whether or not Pacemaker+Corosync is the
> way to go for our
> infrastructure.
>
> We are currently having about 45 physical nodes (plus about 60 more
> virtual containers)
> with a statically historically grown setup of services.

You should be able to get totem (corosync's membership algorithm) to
scale to 32 nodes, but it will need some tweaking of the timing
parameters.

> I am now to restructure this historically grown system into something
> clean and well
> maintainable with HA and scalability in mind (there is no hurry, we've
> some time to design it).
>
> So here is what we mainly have or will have:
>
> -> HAproxy (tcp/80, tcp/443, master + (hot) failover)
> -> http frontend server(s) (doing SSL and static files, in case of
> performance issues -> clone resource).
> -> Varnish (backend accelerator)
> -> HAproxy (load-balancing backend app)
> -> Rails (app nodes, clones)
> - sharded memcache cluster (5 nodes), no failover currently (memcache
> cannot replicate :( )
> - redis nodes
> - mysql (3 nodes: active master, master, slave)
> - Solr (1 master, 2 slaves)
> - resque (many nodes)
> - NFS file storage pool (master/slave DRBD + ext3 fs currently, want
> to use GFS2/OCFS2 however)
>
> Now, I read alot about ppl saying a pacemaker cluster should not
> exceed 16 nodes, and many
> others saying this statement is bullsh**. While I now feel more with
> the latter, I still want to know:
>
>    is it still wise to built up a single pacemaker/corosync driven
> cluster out of all the services above?
>
> One question I also have, is, when pacemaker is managing your
> resources, and migrates
> one resource from one host (because this one went down) to another,
> then this service should
> be actually able to access all data on that node, too.
> Which leads to the assumption, that you have to install *everything*
> on every node, to be actually able
> to start anything anywhere (depending on where pacemaker is about to
> put it and the scores the admin
> has defined).

Well you can tell us not to put the service on a particular (set of) node(s).
Just make sure you have something recent and we should gracefully
detect that the RA/software isn't available and move on somewhere
else.