[Pacemaker] MySQL-Cluster with Pacemaker

Stallmann, Andreas AStallmann at CONET.DE
Mon Jan 30 04:46:04 EST 2012

Hi!

I’m on the lookout for alternatives to our current MySQL “cluster”, which is an Active/Standby solution with MySQL on DRBD.
With increasing customer demand for a faster failover, we want an Active/Passive or even an Active/Active cluster.

Currently we run a Tomcat application, which works in Active/Passive-Mode. The applications on the active node communicate it’s status via a MySQL database to the passive node. In our current setup, both nodes run the tomcat application but only one holds the database (due to the setup with DRBD). For faster failovers, we’d rather want the database to be active on both nodes. It’s not necessary, that it can written on both nodes, but read access would be desirable. The thought is, that switching the “master status” of a database might be quicker than switching DRBD’s master status, unmounting and mounting the file system and stopping and starting the database.

A MySQL/Pacemaker cluster with replication as described  in http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2011/11/29/percona-replication-manager-a-solution-for-mysql-high-availability-with-replication-using-pacemaker/  thus looked very promising, but it seems to be not yet mature enough for a production environment. Please do correct men if I’m wrong there, I’m really interested in your experience with this solution in a real world scenario.

Are there perhaps other howtos describing Pacemaker and MySQL replication?

The second idea was using the native MySQL NDB clustering with Pacemaker. http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2010/05/19/pacemaker-please-meet-ndb-cluster-or-using-pacemakerheartbeat-to-start-a-ndb-cluster/ (from 2010, uses heartbeat and pacemaker) and http://www.howtoforge.com/loadbalanced_mysql_cluster_debian (from 2008, uses pure heartbeat). Are there any more recent “howtos” on pacemaker and MySQL NDB 7.x describe this. Can you provide me with your opinions and field reports on these setups?

Looking forward to your upcoming mails,

Andreas

CONET Solutions GmbH, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 9136)
Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Anke Höfer