[Pacemaker] Configuring 3rd Node as Quorum Node in 2 Node Cluster

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Tue Jan 10 11:30:24 EST 2012

Hello,

I am creating a 2 node active/passive cluster for a fileserver (NFS and Samba) using DRBD + Heartbeat + Pacemaker on Ubuntu 10.04 following this guide: http://www.linbit.com/fileadmin/tech-guides/ha-nfs.pdf . I'd like to enable quorum and STONITH to ensure data integrity. Thus I want to configure a 3rd node that does not have DRBD, nfsd, or smbd installed but is just used to provide quorum (and ensure that the master node is connected to the rest of the network). I found a brief description of how to do this at the link below, however I'm not clear on all of the steps involved: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linuxha/pacemaker/72985#72985

My understanding is that these steps are required:
1. install heartbeat on the 3rd node, node3. Does it have to be the exact same version of heartbeat (this node is running CentOS 5.6)?
2. copy the ha.cf and authkeys configuration files to node3
3. Limit the DRBD, nfs, and smbd resources to only node1 and node2 by adding a location rule for the g_nfs group (which includes p_fs_drbd0 p_lsb_nfsserver p_exportfs_drbd0 p_ip_nfs):
# crm configure location ms-drbd0-placement ms-drbd0 rule -inf: uname ne node1 and uname ne node2

Is there anything else that needs to be done to add this 3rd quorum node to the cluster?

Thanks,

Andrew Martin