[Pacemaker] large cluster design questions

Christian Parpart trapni at gentoo.org
Fri Jan 6 06:10:44 EST 2012

Hey all,

I am also about to evaluate whether or not Pacemaker+Corosync is the
way to go for our
infrastructure.

We are currently having about 45 physical nodes (plus about 60 more
virtual containers)
with a statically historically grown setup of services.

I am now to restructure this historically grown system into something
clean and well
maintainable with HA and scalability in mind (there is no hurry, we've
some time to design it).

So here is what we mainly have or will have:

-> HAproxy (tcp/80, tcp/443, master + (hot) failover)
-> http frontend server(s) (doing SSL and static files, in case of
performance issues -> clone resource).
-> Varnish (backend accelerator)
-> HAproxy (load-balancing backend app)
-> Rails (app nodes, clones)
- sharded memcache cluster (5 nodes), no failover currently (memcache
cannot replicate :( )
- redis nodes
- mysql (3 nodes: active master, master, slave)
- Solr (1 master, 2 slaves)
- resque (many nodes)
- NFS file storage pool (master/slave DRBD + ext3 fs currently, want
to use GFS2/OCFS2 however)

Now, I read alot about ppl saying a pacemaker cluster should not
exceed 16 nodes, and many
others saying this statement is bullsh**. While I now feel more with
the latter, I still want to know:

    is it still wise to built up a single pacemaker/corosync driven
cluster out of all the services above?

One question I also have, is, when pacemaker is managing your
resources, and migrates
one resource from one host (because this one went down) to another,
then this service should
be actually able to access all data on that node, too.
Which leads to the assumption, that you have to install *everything*
on every node, to be actually able
to start anything anywhere (depending on where pacemaker is about to
put it and the scores the admin
has defined).

Many thanks for your thoughts on this,
Christian.