[Pacemaker] [Linux-HA]I revised resource-agents of tomcat.

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 9 09:55:40 EST 2012

Hi Brett,

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:31:48AM +0000, Brett Delle Grazie wrote:
> Hi Dejan / Tomo,
>
> Apologies for the long delay in response but I've been scratching my
> head as to some of the patches
> caused me some concern.
>
> Specifically:
> 1) Patch #2 from the first link
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linuxha/dev/77116)
> This changes the 'status' check to a 'monitor' operation.
>
> The monitor operation should be configured by the user to point at the
> application running within tomcat, e.g. a HEAD request to a version
> page or similar.
>
> However this operation can and will frequently block for an
> indeterminate period of time.
>
> It might be worthwhile making the 'status' operation a process-id
> check for _tomcat_ rather than a monitor operation which traditionally
> checks the availability of the application running within tomcat.
>
> There are distinct conditions where Tomcat may still be working but
> the applications running on it are dead in the water.
>
> This all depends upon whether there is value in distinguishing between
> 'tomcat is dead' and 'the app running on tomcat is dead but tomcat is
> fine'.

Most probably not. We don't have a "half-running" state. At any
rate, the status action is not in the OCF standard, it's only
useful for occasional command line tests (where you can see
immediately if the resource is running or not). Hence it's
actually desireable to have it just run monitor.

Cheers,

Dejan