[Pacemaker] Pacemaker stop behaviour when underlying resource is unavailable

pavan tc pavan.tc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 00:24:42 EST 2012

[..]

> The idea is to make sure that stop does not fail when the underlying

> > resource goes away.
> > (Otherwise I see that the resource gets to an unmanaged state)
> > Also, the expectation is that when the resource comes back, it joins the
> > cluster without much fuss.
> >
> > What I see is that pacemaker calls stop twice
>
> That would not be expected. Bug?

Are you pointing at stop getting called 'twice'? If yes, I will confirm
once more about
the behaviour and will raise a bug.

> > and if it finds that stop
> > returns success,
> > it does not continue with monitor any more. I also do not see an attempt
> > start.
>
> Anywhere?  Or just on the same node?

On the same node. The resource does get promoted on the other node.
My expectation was that if I kept returning OCF_NOT_RUNNING in monitor,
then it should attempt a start-stop-monitor cycle till the resource came
back.
It seems this is not what the cluster manager does?

> > Is there a way to keep the monitor going in such circumstances?
>
> Not really. You can define a recurring monitor for the Stopped role though.

I did not want to go there if I could achieve it via the usual mechanisms.
If that is not, possible, I will explore this option in more detail.

But why would it come back?  You _really_ should not be starting
> services outside of the cluster - not least of all because we've
> probably started it somewhere else in the meantime.

Even if we started the resource elsewhere, we are running in degraded mode.
(My bad, I did not mention this is a _two-node_ multi-state resource).
We would like to come back to the available mode as early as possible and
with the least amount of manual intervention with the cluster.

Pavan