[Pacemaker] Convenience Groups - WAS Re: [Linux-HA] Unordered groups (was Re: Is 'resource_set' still experimental?)

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Thu Apr 19 11:22:48 EDT 2012

Hi Andrew,

I'm currently working on a fairly large cluster with lots of resources
related to attached hardware.  There are 59 of these things and 24 of
those things and so on and each of them has its own resource to deal
with the the "things".  They are not clones, and can't easily be made
clones.

I would like to be able to easily say "shut down all the resources that
manage this kind of thing".    The solution that occurs to me most
obviously is one you would likely call a "double abomination" ;-) - an
unordered and un-colocated group.  It seems a safe assumption that this
would not be a good path to pursue given your statements from last year...

What would you suggest instead?

On 01/19/2011 01:19 AM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Florian Haas<florian.haas at linbit.com>  wrote:
>> On 01/18/2011 11:49 AM, RaSca wrote:
>>> As discussed yesterday on IRC with Andrew, there is no way of creating a
>>> group with indipendent resources.
>>> I was hoping that setting the options you mentioned can do the trick,
>>> but I've just tested:
>>>
>>> If you declare a group like this:
>>>
>>> group groupA resA resB resC meta ordered=false colocated=false
>>>
>>> and then you do a:
>>>
>>> crm resource stop resB, then resC is also stopped.
>> To the best of my knowledge this shouldn't happen and I'd be inclined to
>> call this a bug. But I'm not certain. Andrew, can you shed some light on
>> that?
> Unordered and/or uncolocated groups are an abomination.
> Is that enough light?

     Alan Robertson<alanr at unix.sh>  - @OSSAlanR

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce