[Pacemaker] pacemaker/dlm problems

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Mon Sep 26 04:16:00 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Vladislav Bogdanov
<bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> 26.09.2011 10:10, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Andrew, hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm further investigating dlm lockspace hangs I described in
>>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/cluster-devel/2011-August/msg00133.html
>>> and in the thread starting from
>>> https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/openais/2011-September/016701.html
>>> .
>>>
>>> What I described there is setup which involves pacemaker-1.1.6 with
>>> corosync-1.4.1 and dlm_controld.pcmk from cluster-3.0.17 (without cman).
>>> I use openais stack for pacemaker.
>>>
>>> I found that it is possible to reproduce dlm kern_stop state across a
>>> whole cluster with iptables on just one node, it is sufficient to block
>>> all (or just corosync-specific) incoming/outgoing UDP for several
>>> seconds (that time probably depends on corosync settings). I my case I
>>> reproduced hang with 3-seconds traffic block:
>>> iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp -j REJECT; \
>>> iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -p udp -j REJECT; \
>>> sleep 3; \
>>> iptables -D INPUT 1; \
>>> iptables -D OUTPUT 1
>>>
>>> I tried to make dlm_controld schedule fencing on CPG_REASON_NODEDOWN
>>> event (just to look if it helps with problems I described in posts
>>> referenced above), but without much success, following code does not work:
>>>
>>>    int fd = pcmk_cluster_fd;
>>>    int rc = crm_terminate_member_no_mainloop(nodeid, NULL, &fd);
>>>
>>> I get "Could not kick node XXX from the cluster" message accompanied
>>> with "No connection to the cluster". That means that
>>> attrd_update_no_mainloop() fails.
>>>
>>> Andrew, could you please give some pointers why may it fail? I'd then
>>> try to fix dlm_controld. I do not see any other uses of that function
>>> except than in dlm_controld.pcmk.
>>
>> I can't think of anything except that attrd might not be running.  Is it?
>
> Will recheck.
>

>> Regardless, for 1.1.6 the dlm would be better off making a call like:
>>
>>           rc = st->cmds->fence(st, st_opts, target, "reboot", 120);
>>
>> from fencing/admin.c
>>
>> That would talk directly to the fencing daemon, bypassing attrd, crnd
>> and PE - and thus be more reliable.
>>
>> This is what the cman plugin will be doing soon too.
>
> Great to know, I'll try that in near future. Thank you very much for
> pointer.

1.1.7 will actually make use of this API regardless of any *_controld
changes - i'm in the middle of updating the two library functions they
use (crm_terminate_member and crm_terminate_member_no_mainloop).

>>> I agree with Jiaju
>>> (https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/openais/2011-September/016713.html),
>>> that could be solely pacemaker problem, because it probably should
>>> originate fencing itself is such situation I think.
>>>
>>> So, using pacemaker/dlm with openais stack is currently risky due to
>>> possible hangs of dlm_lockspaces.
>>
>> It shouldn't be, failing to connect to attrd is very unusual.
>
> By the way, one of underlying problems, which actually made me to notice
> all this, is that pacemaker cluster does not fence its DC if it leaves
> the cluster for a very short time. That is what Jiaju told in his notes.
> And I can confirm that.

Thats highly surprising.  Do the logs you sent display this behaviour?