[Pacemaker] resource moving unnecessarily due to ping race condition

Vadym Chepkov vchepkov at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 12:30:05 EDT 2011

On Sep 8, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Florian Haas wrote:

> location pingd-constraint group_1 \
>  rule $id="pingd-constraint-rule" pingd: defined pingd
>
> May I suggest that you simply change this constraint to
>
> location pingd-constraint group_1 \
>  rule $id="pingd-constraint-rule" \
>    -inf: not_defined pingd or pingd lte 0
>
> That way, only a host that definitely has _no_ connectivity carries a
> -INF score for that resource group. And I believe that is what you
> really want, rather than take the actual ping score as a placement
> weight (your "best connectivity" approach).
>
> Just my 2 cents, though.

Even though this approach was recommended many times, there is a problem with it.
What if all nodes for some reason are not able to ping ?
This rule would cause a resource to be brought down completely, whereas if you use "best connectivity" approach it will stay up where it was before network failed.

Vadym