[Pacemaker] Automating Pacemaker Setup

veghead sean at studyblue.com
Tue May 31 10:02:38 EDT 2011

Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at ...> writes:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 08:21:08PM +0000, veghead wrote:
> > 1) Is there a way to force crm to accept my configuration request
> > ~before~ starting the second node?
>
> No before the DC is elected. There are two settings: dc-deadtime
> and startup-fencing which can reduce the time for DC election.
> Note that disabling startup fencing is not recommended. But I
> don't know what's your use case. YMMV.

Well, I'm probably not quite the typical use case. We're using Amazon EC2 to
setup and tear down testing environments. I have automated the entire process
except for setting up Pacemaker. Beyond testing environments, I'd like to
automate Pacemaker setup to cover the scenario where all nodes in a Pacemaker
cluster crash and the entire configuration is lost.

Obviously, once one node is running, setting up additional nodes becomes easy.
It's just the bootstrap phase that's a challenge to automate.

> > 2) Is there a way to tell Pacemaker to ignore quorum requirements
> > ~before~ starting additional nodes?
> >
> > 2) Is there an alternate way to configure Pacemaker?
>
> Yes, you can modify the CIB _before_ starting pacemaker. Sth
> like:
>
> CIB_file=/var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml crm configure ...
>
> But in that case you need to remove cib.xml.sig. Then you have to
> make sure that pacemaker starts first on this node. Consider this
> only if everything else fails.

I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.

-S