[Pacemaker] Automating Pacemaker Setup

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Mon May 30 09:59:14 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 08:21:08PM +0000, veghead wrote:
> veghead <sean at ...> writes:
> > Todd Nine <todd at ...> writes:
> > Wow. The example pacemaker config and the trick of starting
> > heartbeat before
>
> Bah. So close. But I still don't have it completely automated.
>
> If I start heatbeat on the first node and then run:
>
> crm configure < myconfigure.txt
>
> That fails. If I start heartbeat on the second node and wait for the
> two nodes to connect to each other (so that we have a quorum), then I
> can run "crm configure" and it works.
>
> So that leaves me with couple questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to force crm to accept my configuration request
> ~before~ starting the second node?

No before the DC is elected. There are two settings: dc-deadtime
and startup-fencing which can reduce the time for DC election.
Note that disabling startup fencing is not recommended. But I
don't know what's your use case. YMMV.

> 2) Is there a way to tell Pacemaker to ignore quorum requirements
> ~before~ starting additional nodes?
>
> 2) Is there an alternate way to configure Pacemaker?

Yes, you can modify the CIB _before_ starting pacemaker. Sth
like:

CIB_file=/var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml crm configure ...

But in that case you need to remove cib.xml.sig. Then you have to
make sure that pacemaker starts first on this node. Consider this
only if everything else fails.

Thanks,

Dejan