[Pacemaker] Required resources for stateful clones (Serge Dubrouski)

Daniel Bozeman daniel.bozeman at americanroamer.com
Fri May 20 10:14:45 EDT 2011

# postgresql.conf on both servers
hot_standby = true
wal_level = hot_standby
max_wal_senders = # not 0

# recovery.conf on both servers
standby_mode = 'on'
primary_conninfo = 'host=[hostname]'
trigger_file = '/tmp/trigger'

Then all you have to do is rename recovery.conf on one server to recovery.done to make it master. Start postgres and streaming replication will begin (once you rebase). Should the master go down, have Pacemaker touch the trigger file on the standby server and restart postgres. This will move recovery.conf to recovery.done and the standby will be master.

When you are ready to recover the old master, move recovery.done to recovery.conf, rebase, and start postgres. Pgpool has C and SQL functions you can install that will allow you to perform online recovery (rebasing the standby without shutting down the master).

Here is an example rebase script written in Ruby. It is easy to find them written in shell script as well, but this script should be very easy to translate as it is nothing but system calls.

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
# performs rebase from current machine
# to machine "to_host"

# remote host
host = 'ha2'

  print 'recovering...'
  system("ssh -T #{host} /etc/init.d/postgresql stop")
  system("psql -U postgres -c \"SELECT pg_start_backup('backup', true)\" postgres")
  system("rsync --exclude server.key --exclude server.crt --exclude pg_xlog --exclude recovery.conf --exclude recovery.done --exclude postmaster.pid --exclude postgresql.pid --exclude \"pg_log/*\"  --exclude \"pg_hba.conf\" --exclude \"postgresql.conf\" --recursive --times --compress --perms --links --delete /var/lib/postgresql/9.0/main/ postgres@#{host}:/var/lib/postgresql/9.0/main/")
  system("psql -U postgres -c \"SELECT pg_stop_backup()\" postgres")
  system("rsync -av /var/lib/postgresql/9.0/main/pg_xlog/ postgres@#{host}:/var/lib/postgresql/9.0/main/pg_xlog/")
  system("ssh -T #{host} mv /var/lib/postgresql/9.0/main/recovery.done /var/lib/postgresql/9.0/main/recovery.conf")
  system("ssh -T #{host} /etc/init.d/postgresql start")

Is this a postgres mailing list or something? ;)

See one inline comment below.

Take care,

Daniel

On May 20, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Eamon Roque wrote:

> > > Eamon.Roque at lex-com.net

> > > of

> > > \

> > > I've

> > > help

> > > 2>&1)

> > > Master

> > > Hot_Standby

> > > host.
> > > into

> > > If
> > > >

> > > Right. The order is wrong. According to the Binary Replication tutorial on
> > > the postgres wiki, when I perform a failover with a trigger file, it wants
> > > to find a "recovery.conf", which it then processes (checking the archive for
> > > missing updates etc.) and renames (after noticing the trigger file).
> > >
> > > I assumed that this would work in exactly the same way with Streaming
> > > Replication.
> > >
> > > Am I wrong?
> >

> > I think so. You have to have recovery.conf when you start your standby, not
> > master. Actually instance that has recovery.conf always tries to start as
> > standby. You have to have master's IP address there and path to archived log
> > files.
> >

> So the failover behavior in binary replication and streaming replication is different? Or is the wiki entry just antiquated?

"Binary replication" simply refers to streaming replication between two (binary) servers. This is a bit misleading, as it may lead you to believe it is a WAL-shipping or shared storage replication method, but it is not. The information I have provided above should be all you need to set up streaming/binary replication (other than properly configuring your pg_hba.conf

> > > start.

> > ######################################################################################################

> > > databases
> > > me

> > > this
> > >
> > > Demote? Well, seeing as neither promote nor demote actually worked for me,
> > > I thought I would start small.
> > >

> > It doesn't work because you have it in unmanaged state I think.
> >

> I'm using the ocf-tester utility to test the agent. Won't there be a conflict if I try and have the cluster manage the resources and then try and wrest it's control away with my own testing agent?
>

> > > As far as the trigger file switching goes, you're of course completely
> > > right. This behavior isn't really a big deal in my environment, as it's
> > > meant as more of test and we want to bring back the demoted servers up
> > > manually, but I can see that it would cause a lot of problems in a more
> >

> > That means that demote operation should stop master server which isn't the
> > best behavior IMHO.
> >

> I don't disagree. This was the policy that was "agreed" upon, so it's more of a political issue, really.
>
> Would you prefer putting it into RO mode?
>

> > > complex environment. When I tested the failover functionality without
> > > pacemaker, I have to perform a fresh backup even if I waited less than 30s
> > > to bring the old master back up as a standby.
> > >
> > > I guess that with 9.1 this will be easier...
> > >
> > > I unmanaged the resources so that my test agent would handle them. Is this
> > > incorrect?
> > >

> > Again I think you are wrong. In this mode pacemaker won't call your RA to
> > promote/demote or failover your resource.

> > > the
> > > -v

> > > would

> > > http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf
> > > > >
> > > http://developerbugs.linux-foundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Pacemaker

> > > Project Home: http://www.clusterlabs.org
> > > Getting started: http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf
> > > Bugs:
> > > http://developerbugs.linux-foundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Pacemaker
> > >

> > --
> > Serge Dubrouski.
> >

> > End of Pacemaker Digest, Vol 42, Issue 55

Daniel Bozeman
American Roamer
Systems Administrator
daniel.bozeman at americanroamer.com