[Pacemaker] Preventing auto-fail-back

Dan Frincu df.cluster at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:02:44 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Max Williams <Max.Williams at betfair.com>wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> You might want to set “on-fail=standby” for the resource group or
> individual resources. This will put the host in to standby when a failure
> occurs thus preventing failback:

This is not the most optimal solution.

> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Pacemaker_Explained/s-resource-operations.html#s-resource-failure
>

> Another option is to set resource stickiness which will stop resources
> moving back after a failure:
>

> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Clusters_from_Scratch/ch05s03s02.html

That is set globally in his config.

> Also note if you are using a two node cluster you will also need the
> property “no-quorum-policy=ignore” set.

This as well.

> Hope that helps!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Max

Well, not really, that's why there are errors in your config.

> And it does work as advertised. When I stop corosync, the resource goes to
> the other node. I start corosync and it remains there as it should.
>

> However, if I simply unplug the ethernet connection, let the resource
> migrate, then plug it back in, it will fail back to the original node. Is
> this the intended behavior? It seems a bad NIC could wreck havoc on such a
> setup.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Daniel
>

> On May 16, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Daniel Bozeman wrote:
>

> For the life of me, I cannot prevent auto-failback from occurring in a
> master-slave setup I have in virtual machines. I have a very simple
> configuration:
>
> node $id="4fe75075-333c-4614-8a8a-87149c7c9fbb" ha2 \
>        attributes standby="off"
> node $id="70718968-41b5-4aee-ace1-431b5b65fd52" ha1 \
>        attributes standby="off"
> primitive FAILOVER-IP ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr \
>        params ip="192.168.1.79" \
>        op monitor interval="10s"
> primitive PGPOOL lsb:pgpool2 \
>        op monitor interval="10s"
> group PGPOOL-AND-IP FAILOVER-IP PGPOOL
> colocation IP-WITH-PGPOOL inf: FAILOVER-IP PGPOOL
> property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
>        dc-version="1.0.8-042548a451fce8400660f6031f4da6f0223dd5dd" \

Change to cluster-infrastructure="openais"

>        cluster-infrastructure="Heartbeat" \
>        stonith-enabled="false" \
>        no-quorum-policy="ignore"

You're missing expected-quorum-votes here, it should be
expected-quorum-votes="2" and it's usually added automatically when the
nodes are added/seen to/by the cluster, I assume it's related to the
cluster-infrastructure="Heartbeat".

Regards,
Dan

--