[Pacemaker] Multiple Active Cluster

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at clusterbau.com
Thu Jun 30 06:59:06 EDT 2011

> Hi list,
>

> I was working on active/passive cluster for several years with much
> satisfaction.
>
> But now our company has a request where is needed a Active cluster with
> more than 5 nodes.
>
> This five nodes needs to run our services in balancing mode (basically much
> clients that make request to a single VIP), in the past time we use LVS to
> make balancing of workload.
>
> Now my question: is possible to use only pacemaker without LVS assuming our
> services act in a look as FTP or a Web Server or in alternative use LVS as
> a services of the cluster (maybe with a dedicated private LAN using other
> Ethernet interfaces of the servers)?
>
> My fear is that use two nodes only for  LVS cluster is a waste of HW,
> assuming that for a great amount of time the LVS server do nothing. I think
> that instead, we need more computing time for our resource and so save the
> two clustered LVS server that are offload.
>
> I hope that is clear my English is not so good as u can see J
>

> Regards
>
> Miko
> Release And Validation leader

Search for the "localnode" feature of the LVS. You can install the
Loadbalancer on the application machines. No "waste" or hardware.

So my suggestion:
- 5 machines with the application

- on two of there machines install the cluster software and the ldirectord.
Have the ldirectord resource controlled by the cluster.

You get an application cluster with 5 machines and a HA loadbalancer.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63