[Pacemaker] Quorum: a couple of ideas

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Mon Feb 21 09:01:30 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Carlos G Mendioroz <tron at huapi.ba.ar> wrote:
> Hi,
> As I understand it, pacemaker decides on having quorum

Let me stop you there... pacemaker doesn't normally decide this at all.
It doesn't for heartbeat based clusters and once the corosync quorum
plugin is functional it wont there either.

Quorum is something that should normally come from the underlying
cluster messaging layer.

> when
> the number of nodes it can talk to is strictly greater than
> half of the existing nodes, or 2 * N > T .
>
> This has the unfortunate consequence of turning it useless for
> N = 2, and less than optimal for any even T.
>
> I would like you to consider having one node a double vote.

Short answer:       No.
Medium answer:   Thats what no quorum policy is for.
Long answer:        See your local encyclopedia for the definition of
quorum, we ain't perverting it here :-)
Historical answer: Vote fudging became common practice because cluster
managers had a meltdown when quorum was lost.
                           Pacemaker does not suffer this problem and
thus does not wish to encourage the practice :-)