[Pacemaker] designing a load balancer - request for comments

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] r.bhatia at ipax.at
Fri Feb 11 05:27:40 EST 2011

hi,

On 02/09/2011 03:04 PM, Klaus Darilion wrote:

>             server1                   server2
>              ip1                        ip2
>                 <-----virtual-IP------->

> Kamailio should always be running on both servers. Replication of
> Registrations is done on SIP level between the to servers (using the
> 'real' IP). The Registrar/LoadBalancer service itself is provided on the
> virtual-IP, thus the SIP traffic is handled either on server1 or server2.
>
> If the Kamailio process dies, it should be restarted. If it fails to
> start or fails to often (flapping) the virtual-IP should be migrated to
> the other node. Of course failover should also happen if one server dies
> completely.

best would be to write a kamailio resource agent.

> I wonder how I should implement this. Of course the virtual-IP sould onl
> be active on a host where Kamailio is active too.
>

> How do I make Kamailio active on both nodes? Just a "clone" as with the
> "ping resource"?
>
> How do I try to recover a Kamailio problem (restart) a few times before
> migrating the virtual-IP to the other node?

i thought that kamilo is active on both nodes? or what is the difference
between "running on both servers" and "a host where kamailio is active"?

(if there is a difference, you should create a multistate aka
master/slave resource)

basically:
primitive extip ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr2 \
        params ip="a.b.c.d" nic="eth0.123" cidr_netmask="28" \
        op monitor interval="30"
primitive kamailio ocf:pernau:kamailio \
        op monitor interval="30" timeout="30" \
        op monitor interval="15" role="Slave" timeout="30" \
        op monitor interval="10" role="Master" timeout="30"
ms ms-kamailio wdb-mysql
colocation colo_extip_with_kamailio inf: extip ms-kamailio:Master

the most important thing would be the kamailio resource agent.

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OG          web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office at ipax.at
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15