[Pacemaker] Several problems with simple virtual-IP config

Tue Feb 8 12:03:31 EST 2011

Hi!

I'm a newbie and have a problem with a simple virtual-IP config. I want
the virtual-IP to be either on server1 or server2, depending on which of
the server is having network connectivity (ping) to the outside. My
config is:

node server1 \
        attributes standby="off"
node server2 \
        attributes standby="off"
primitive failover-ip ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr \
        params ip="11.222.32.161" \
        op monitor interval="3s"
primitive pingtest ocf:pacemaker:pingd \
        params host_list="11.222.53.113" multiplier="10" dampen="5s" \
        op monitor interval="10s"
clone clonePing pingtest
location aktiverLB failover-ip \
        rule $id="aktiverLB-rule" pingd: defined pingd
property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
        dc-version="1.0.9-74392a28b7f31d7ddc86689598bd23114f58978b" \
        cluster-infrastructure="openais" \
        expected-quorum-votes="2" \
        stonith-enabled="false" \
        no-quorum-policy="ignore"

I use Debian Lenny with packages from backports. My problems are:

1. After starting /etc/init.d/corosync it takes around 60s until
pacemaker comes online. Which timer is that? Is it safe to reduce it to
few seconds?

2. Everything is running and Server1 has the virtual-IP:

  Online: [ server1 server2 ]

  failover-ip     (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr):        Started server1
   Clone Set: clonePing
       Started: [ server1 server2 ]

Then I changed node server2 to standby: # crm node standby server2.

  Node server2: standby
  Online: [ server1 ]

  failover-ip     (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr):        Started server1
   Clone Set: clonePing
       Started: [ server1 ]
       Stopped: [ pingtest:0 ]

Why is the output "Stopped: [ pingtest:0 ]" and not as I would expect
"Stopped: [ server2 ]"?

3. Now, server1, hosting the virtual-IP, loost connectivity to the ping
target (I inserted a firewall rule) -> The virtual-IP stayed with server1.

Now I put server2 online again: # crm node online server2.
That means, server2 is online and has ping connectivity, server1 is
online and doesn't have ping connectivity. But the virtual-IP stayed
with server1:

  Online: [ server1 server2 ]

  failover-ip     (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr):        Started server1
   Clone Set: clonePing
       Started: [ server2 server1 ]

What do I have to change in the config to have here a failover to server2?

4. IIUC the "clone clonePing pingtest" is necessary to have the ping
service running on every node. Is this correct? (I'm confused by the
term 'clone' as this does not seem logical to me).

Thanks a lot
Klaus