[Pacemaker] dependency on start but not on running

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Wed Dec 7 03:04:19 EST 2011

I have a pair of servers running Xen, with the xen config files stored
on an ocfs2 share mounted on an iscsi volume. A problem has developed
where ocfs2 seems to get stuck (in the monitor script I think), and
because I have a dependency of xen vm's depending on the volume where
the config files are, if the ocfs2 resource fails then pacemaker also
kills the dependent services.

Is it possible to have a dependency on a resource starting, but not on
it continuing to run, or on it migrating to another host? To summarise,
I want my xen vm to behave like this:

. Can only start if the ocfs2 volume is mounted
. May continue to run if the ocfs2 volume is failed
. May migrate to another node if the ocfs2 volume is failed on either
the source or the target

Upon notification of the problem I'll schedule a reboot to clear the
failed condition, but there is no need for pacemaker to kill all my VM's
so I'd rather it didn't - I'd like to handle that at my leisure.

This is obviously only an interim measure, but as usual it breaks at the
worst possible moment.

Thanks

James