[Pacemaker] Strange behavior when starting up Corosync in a single node setup

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Oct 27 06:31:53 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Stephan-Frank Henry
<Frank.Henry at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Andrew Beekhof
>> Mon, 13 Sep 2010 06:25:48 -0700
>>
>> Looks like corosync can't talk to itself - ie. it never sees the
>> multicast messages it sends out.
>> This would result in the pacemaker errors you're seeing.
>>
>> Almost always this is a firewall issue :-)
>> Perhaps try disabling it completely?
>
> Sorry for the late reply. I have been seeing a lot of strange stuff and I wanted them confirmed before wasting more of your time. I also tried some fixes I had found in the net and naturally had other stuff to do.
>
> Even though I do not always reply immediately or at all, I am always very grateful for everyone's help.
>
> I also upgraded all our libs to the latest version and including those from the Lenny backports.
> I had initially thought it was a problem with our kernel but that did not pan out.
> But I'll just stick with the newer versions for now.
>
> The strangest thing is, the behavior is completely random.
>
> Sometimes it just works.
> Sometimes it just dies after the start (could be the race condition mentioned below)
> Sometimes I get these:
>  crmd: [3086]: WARN: lrm_signon: can not initiate connection
>  crmd: [3086]: WARN: do_lrm_control: Failed to sign on to the LRM 2 (30 max) times
>  crmd: [3086]: info: ais_dispatch: Membership 92: quorum still lost
> Sometimes I get these:
>  crmd: [3067]: info: crm_timer_popped: Wait Timer (I_NULL) just popped!
>  crmd: [3067]: info: do_cib_control: Could not connect to the CIB service: connection failed
>  crmd: [3067]: WARN: do_cib_control: Couldn't complete CIB registration 2 times... pause and retry

warnings are just that, warnings.
in this case a couple of processes are taking a little while to start.

> Or these:
>  crmd: [2649]: notice: Not currently connected.
>  crmd: [2649]: ERROR: te_connect_stonith: Sign-in failed: triggered a retry
>  crmd: [2649]: info: te_connect_stonith: Attempting connection to fencing daemon...
>  crmd: [2649]: ERROR: stonithd_signon: Can't initiate connection to stonithd

What does "ps axf" show?
I'm guessing you'll see one or more zombie processes where stonithd is
supposed to be.

Which would mean you're hitting this:
  http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/post/907043024/introducing-the-pacemaker-master-control-process-for

Grab 1.1.4 and use option 2.