[Pacemaker] Missing lrm_opstatus

Ron Kerry rkerry at sgi.com
Thu Oct 7 12:06:18 EDT 2010

On 10/7/2010 8:00 AM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 09:49:05AM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>  >> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>  >> > Hi,
>  >> >
>  >> > On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:18:37AM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>  >> >> Dejan: looks like something in the lrm library.
>  >> >> Any idea why the message doesn't contain lrm_opstatus?
>  >> >
>  >> > Becase this monitor operation never run. Which seems to be a
>  >> > plausible explanation since the start-delay is set to 600s.
>  >>
>  >> Isn't that what LRM_OP_PENDING is for?
>  >> I'm happy to see that at least msg_to_op() maps missing fields to that value :-)
>  >
>  > Actually it does, it's just that the library code logs the
>  > warning and then the whole message. The missing op_status is then
>  > set to LRM_OP_PENDING.
>
> Yep, like I said, I was happy to see that this was the case (I looked
> up the code).
> Might just be simpler to set it on the server side though and avoid the warning.
>
>  >
>  > BTW, using start-delay means that there's a deficiency in the RA.
>  > That attribute should be banned.
>  >

> Right, I also meant to mention that in my reply.
> I'm still yet to see a valid use for start-delay, Ron: why is it being
> used here?

Probably because we did not know any better. The intent is that the monitor operation not be
scheduled to run until after the start operation has completed. The start operation for most of our
RAs verifies the resource startup )most often by just calling the monitor function itself). So we
set the monitor start-delay to the same value as the start timeout. We have setting things up this
way for quite some time and it has never caused us problems before. I cannot remember the history
behind initially setting start-delay b ut it began way back when we were using straight heartbeat
based builds (since pretty much the SLES10 time frame). Should we not do this?

Ron Kerry         rkerry at sgi.com