[Pacemaker] Multiple independent two-node clusters side-by-side?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at pseudoterminal.org
Wed Oct 27 20:36:04 EDT 2010

Hi,

first time poster, short time Pacemaker user. I don't think this is a
very difficult question to answer but I seem to be feeding Google the
wrong search terms. I am using Pacemaker 1.0.8 and Corosync 1.2.0 on
Ubuntu 10.04.1 Server.

Short version: How do I configure multiple independent two-node clusters
where the nodes are all on the same subnet? Only the two nodes that form
the cluster should see that cluster's resources and not any other.

Is this possible? Where should I look for more and detailed information?

Long version: I have a setup with two physical machines which both run
multiple virtual machines (Libvirt/KVM). For cluster and heartbeat
communication there is a dedicated subnet (direct connection between the
physical hosts) to which all VMs are connected (10.0.0.0/24). DNS is
running correctly and all nodes are addressable by their
hostname/nodename.

Initially I set up a simple PostgreSQL/DRBD active/passive cluster on
two VMs. I generated authkeys for Corosync and copied them to the VMs
which form that cluster. I was, by the way, delighted how smooth both
setup and configuration went. All hail to "Cluster from Scratch".
Everything worked exactly as I had hoped in this two-node cluster.

Now I need to set up another two-node active/passive cluster for a
different application. Here, too, I generated new authkeys for Corosync
and copied them to the VMs in question.

Once the nodes were online and connected to the cluster subnet, however,
they were able to see the existing cluster and all its resources. The
CRM also complained about a bunch of "failed actions" because,
naturally, these two new nodes don't have DRBD and PostgreSQL installed
and never will.

crm_mon now shows a four-node cluster where I'd like to (somehow) see
two two-node clusters with resources independent from each other. I'd
also like to re-use primitive names on different clusters
(cluster_main_ip, cluster_admin_ip, ...) and not have to prefix each
name somehow. I also imagine that the configuration would quickly get
huge and very unwieldy once there are more than a few nodes involved. I
also wonder how the Corosync instances on the existing cluster can talk
to the instances on the new cluster? They have different authkeys, after
all.

What are my options here? How should the configuration of Pacemaker
look? Or is that more related to Corosync? Should I configure a
different subnet for each two-node cluster?

Please point me to the (section of the) documentation that can help me
understand how this is supposed to work.

Thanks in advance!

Andreas