[Pacemaker] multistate resource warning

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jan 5 11:20:57 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 09:20:53AM -0500, Frank DiMeo wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I've got a simple multistate resource running on a two node cluster.
> The enclosed configuration is happy accepted by the CIB, and I see the
> resource running in the master/slave state on the two nodes, but when
> I run a crm_verify, I get a warning:
>

> cibadmin -replace --xml-file 1rsc_basic.xml
>
> hacluster at ubuntu_2:~/clones$ crm_verify --live-check -V
>
> crm_verify[7640]: 2010/01/05_09:11:49 WARN: get_target_role: ms-world1
> is not part of a master/slave resource, a target-role of 'Master'
> makes no sense
>
> Warnings found during check: config may not be valid
>

> I think my configuration is valid...is this warning valid?

yes. as it says:
target role of Master makes no sense.

where, when, or if, a resource is promoted does not depend on its target
role, but on "master scores".

there has even been a bug in pacemaker (up to 1.0.3? 1.0.4?) where a
"target-role=Master" resulted in the resource being (tried to be)
promoted everywhere, disregarding any master-max settings.

as a side note, also try to avoid location constraints on Master roles.
in our experience it can confuse the crm into believing that it would
always be ok to promote on those nodes, which is not necessarily the case.
ymmv.
it probably depends on the behaviour of the RA as well.

--
: Lars Ellenberg