[Pacemaker] colocation issues (isnt it always)

Patrick H. pacemaker at feystorm.net
Wed Dec 15 11:33:54 EST 2010

Sent: Wed Dec 15 2010 09:10:12 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
From: Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at fastmail.fm>
To: The Pacemaker cluster resource manager <pacemaker at oss.clusterlabs.org>
Subject: Re: [Pacemaker] colocation issues (isnt it always)
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 07:08:52PM -0700, Patrick H. wrote:
>
>> Sent: Mon Dec 13 2010 15:19:48 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
>> From: Pavlos Parissis <pavlos.parissis at gmail.com>
>> To: The Pacemaker cluster resource manager <pacemaker at oss.clusterlabs.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Pacemaker] colocation issues (isnt it always)
>>
>>> If you put all of them in a group and have the nfs_sdb1 as last
>>> resource you will manage to have what you want with a very simple
>>> configuration
>>> BTW, I used your conf and in my case all resources started on the same node
>>>
>> I futzed around with it some more and the problem was the nfsserver
>> resource. It wasnt properly detecting that it wasnt running on the
>> 'nas02' node. When I first added the resource it wasnt in the
>> colocation rule, so it started up on 'nas02' (or it thought it did),
>> and then I added the colocation rule. Well the monitor action was
>> reporting that the service was running when it really wasnt. So
>> every time it went to shut it down and move it to another node, it
>> failed cause it thought it was still running. I ended up writing my
>> own script with a working monitor function and it moved over just
>> fine.
>>

> nfsserver actually uses your distribution init script:
>
> nfs_init_script (string, [/etc/init.d/nfsserver]): Init script for nfsserver
>     The default init script shipped with the Linux distro.
>     The nfsserver resource agent offloads the start/stop/monitor
> work to the init script because the procedure to start/stop/monitor nfsserver
> varies on different Linux distro.
>
> It looks like you need to report a bug to your vendor for the
> NFS server init script.

No, the problem wasnt the nfs server init script, that worked perfectly,
and in the script I'm using that I wrote to replace nfsserver i'm using
the system's init script as well. The problem was with the nfsserver
script improperly thinking that nfs was active, even when it wasnt. The
path that nfs stores its state data (/var/lib/nfs) didnt even exist and
it still said it was running. That was the problem.