[Pacemaker] Do I need a resource for a clustered LVM volume group or not?

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Dec 9 03:04:28 EST 2010

On 2010-12-08 23:17, Mike Diehn wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com
> <mailto:florian.haas at linbit.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/08/2010 09:34 PM, Mike Diehn wrote:
>     >     > I want
>     >     > to use OCFS2 on an LVM2 logical volume.
>     >
>     >     Why why why???
>     >
>     >
>     > Load balancing cluster.
>
>     And that DAV locking thingy or whatever Subversion uses is actually
>     cluster aware?
>

> Doubt it...

Then good luck with that; seems to me like a recipe for wrecking your
repo in case two unfortunate souls do svn commit at the same time. But
that's out of scope here.

>     > So, do you know if we'll need a resource configured to do
>     something with
>     > the clustered volume group?
>
>     Yes, use a clone set of an ocf:heartbeat:LVM primitive. Obviously, you
>     also need to clone the dlm, clvm, and o2cb resources.
>

> OK, Florian, thanks.
>
> While I waited to hear back from you, I tried this on our test cluster:
>
>   # bunch of primitives, then...
>   group Shared-FS dlm clvm o2cb vg1 fs1
>   clone Shared-FS_clone meta interleave="true"
>
> and it seems to work.
>
> Do you suppose I'm asking for trouble having all five resources in that
> one group?

Now I know that cloning groups is supposed to work (it requires that all
the primitives within the group are themselves cloneable, but you've got
that covered), but I've never used it myself and can't say for sure that
it's working as advertised. But it's supposed to, and if it is not,
please let Andrew know.

Cheers,
Florian