[Pacemaker] duality and equality

Vadym Chepkov chepkov at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 07:42:11 EDT 2010

Hi,

I noticed there are quite a few configuration parameters in pacemaker that can be set two different ways: via cluster properties or rsc/op_defaults.
For example,
property default-resource-stickiness and rsc_defaults resource-stickiness,
property is-managed-default and rsc_defaults is-managed, property stop-all-resources and rsc_defaults target-role, property default-action-timeout and op_defaults timeout. I assume this duality exists for historical reasons and in computing world it is not unusual to achieve the same results in different ways. But in this case curios minds want to know which parameter takes precedence if equal parameters are both set and contradict each other?

I also noticed some differences in how these settings are assessed.

# crm configure show
node c20.chepkov.lan
node c21.chepkov.lan
primitive ip_rg0 ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr2 \
	params nic="eth0" ip="10.10.10.22" cidr_netmask="32"
primitive ping ocf:pacemaker:ping \
	params name="ping" dampen="5s" multiplier="200" host_list="10.10.10.250"
clone connected ping \
	meta globally-unique="false"
property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
	dc-version="1.0.8-9881a7350d6182bae9e8e557cf20a3cc5dac3ee7" \
	cluster-infrastructure="openais" \
	expected-quorum-votes="2" \
	no-quorum-policy="ignore" \
	stonith-enabled="false"

# crm configure verify
WARNING: ping: default-action-timeout 20s for start is smaller than the advised 60
WARNING: ip_rg0: default-action-timeout 20s for start is smaller than the advised 90
WARNING: ip_rg0: default-action-timeout 20s for stop is smaller than the advised 100

# crm configure op_defaults timeout=120
WARNING: ping: default-action-timeout 20s for start is smaller than the advised 60
WARNING: ip_rg0: default-action-timeout 20s for start is smaller than the advised 90
WARNING: ip_rg0: default-action-timeout 20s for stop is smaller than the advised 100

But,

# crm configure property default-action-timeout=120

makes it happy.

And this makes me wonder, are these parameters really the same or do they have a different meanings? Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
  Vadym Chepkov