[Pacemaker] New patch for System Health feature

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Mon May 18 09:32:57 EDT 2009

On 2009-05-18T15:19:50, Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:

> That was my original intention, but the change ended up quite small
> and isolated.
> It seemed overkill to start a dev branch for this.

As soon as this goes out, we'll have to support this forever. We've made
too many such design mistakes in the past (that is NOT! meant as an
offense to Mark, just a critical assessment of our judgment and
experience!), and I don't want to repeat this.

Yes, the code is isolated, but experience shows that design and user
impact usually is not.

There's also other unanswered questions - how do these health scores get
populated on startup, for example? Are they transient by mandate? In the
current version, if they were zero, a node might never startup the
health checker if it is managed as a resource, as the health could
never turn green.

We also should define a minimal policy for new features in the stable
branch - they must include documentation, regression tests, examples,
and be supported by the tools (i.e., crm).

That's a general policy issue indeed and not tied to this feature, but
my gut tells me that this kind of feature is the tipping point where
this should be considered.

Regards,
    Lars

--
SuSE Labs, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.